Monday, February 20, 2012

Vintage? Yes, Please!

I love finding treasures.  I love finding something that has a lot of meaning.  I love it more when it fits me!
My aunt sometimes de-clutters her closet, and luckily I happen to be the same shoe size as her!

vintage99
Hand me down score!  Joan and David flats from late 1980's or 1990's.

vintage88
It needs a little cleaning.

vintage7
Definitely a score when it's free and it fits! YAY!

vintage2
Now this one is definitely a treasure that used to be one of my aunts.
It was hand sewn by my great aunt who was an impeccable seamstress.
I found this in my Mama's basement a long time ago and kept it until I could fit it.

vintage77
This is one serious smocking that no machine can make.

vintage4
After some minor alterations made by my Ma, this beautiful dress finally fits me!

vintage1
Yep, I was so excited to wear this!

I have no shame in getting hand-me-down items.  My "new to me" dress means a lot since it was made by my great grandmother, and will wear it proudly.  Have you ever gotten anything from someone in your family that you currently wear?  Old is the new "new"!

15 comments:

Brittany said...

That dress is SO AMAZING!!! And it fits you well! I would be pretty excited about something like that, too!

christine said...

Thanks so much Brittany!! I will be going through my Mom's basement again just in case I find something else! hah!

Live Laugh Rowe said...

Hi Christine!

Yes, finding treasures (and unexpected ones at that) is a BLAST!!! Thank you for linking up to the blog hop! Wishing you great success in your bloggy endeavors. New follower :)

Kelly
www.livelaughrowe.com

christine said...

Kelly, thank you so much for stopping by my blog and for following. I appreciate it!

Bekah said...

That dress is divine! Not to mention your shoes!!!!!!!!!! Hand me downs are the best! Thanks for following! You have an adorable blog!!!!

Ms. Kelly said...

Love, love, love this post. The dress is divine. The shoes are hot too- Auntie Nira??? Yes, I have a vintage orange full length dress with hand sewn flowers my mother used to wear when she and my Dad went out on date night. When I am a size 2 again (ha, ha) I'll wear it.

christine said...

Rebekah, thanks for stopping by and following and for your awesome comments about my lil blog. I so appreciate it! If I could wear the dress everyday I would!! lol That's how much I love it.

christine said...

Hah! You are too funny Ms. Kelly! Yes, they are from Auntie Nira! She has some cool shoes waiting to be worn again! Can we alter the dress so you can wear it now?? I love hand me down stuff that has a story, you know?! Let's set a thrifting date ASAP and do what we do best! XOXO

Annie said...

Ohhh those flats are SO cute - and what a pretty dress! Love the color.

Annie
The Other Side of Gray

Love Sparkle Pretty said...

LOVE :) score!!!!!!

christine said...

Thanks Annie! I am in love ...no...obsessed with the color! The flats are a little snug, but I'm hoping that the leather will stretch a little. Thanks for visiting!

christine said...

Thanks! Exactly what I said! haha

Rachel The Hat said...

what a beaut of a dress, lucky you, an now it fits like a glove! :D

christine said...

Rachel, thank you! I have another vintage dress that I'm excited to blog about, but I need more than minor alterations to do to it. Thanks so much for stopping by! By the way I checked out your lovely blog! :)

Lindsey said...

These are great!! I LOVE the dress.

Such a powerful post! Thanks for sharing.

I'm stopping by via the blog hop. Nice to meet you! I'm a new follower.

Lots of love,
Lindsey
OutOfAlabaster.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...